The vast majority of hand and wrist problems can be fixed at home. Even incipient infections can often be treated with a soaking in a very warm supersaturated solution of Epsom Salts. For those times when Hand and Wrist pain is not easily fixed, the most common causes are:
- Arthritis Pain often occurs in the wrist and fingers. Osteoarthritis can be treated with NSAIDs and laser, while Rheumatoid arthritis needs a different approach.
- Carpal tunnel is caused by pressure on the nerve in the middle of your wrist, called the median nerve. It causes tingling, numbness, weakness, and pain. Treat with better ergonomics for your wrist, a wrist rest, better keyboard. If needed use a wrist brace. Add aspirin or NSAIDs as tolerated. If those fail then consider laser therapy. Surgery is needed only for carpal tunnel that does not resolve with conservative measures.
- Tendon's can become swollen. These usually resolve with rest and NSAIDs, consider laser therapy if needed.
- Dupuytren's contracture or disease may eventually need to be treated with surgery. Laser may help but consider other treatments first.
- Ganglion cysts will usually resolve on their own. If not, laser is of no benefit, see a surgeon.
- Diabetic Neuropathy< can cause pain, numbness and tingling. Treat as you would any diabetic neuropathy.
- Neuropathic Pain and neuromas can cause pain in the fingers and hand. Treat with laser or other conservative measures.